This past weekend, I took the time to look around and take note of how much technology surrounds us. Just looking around my room, I can see countless examples of technology; lamps, phones, computer, ipod, alarm clock, heaters, fans, chargers, etc. are some of the first item I noticed, but at a second glance, I thought, What is Technology? What defines it? Who came to define it? Is it the process of creation or the item itself? Do my curtains count as technology? What about the drawers, books, and racks?
When we tend to think about technology (at least when I think about technology) I tend to think of electronic, computerized, digital, items or products. They are normally expensive and important. But why is this technology? The New Oxford American Dictionary states that technology is "the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes; machinery and equipment developed from such scientific knowledge; the branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied sciences." Though "sciences" are mentioned, the actual definition it quite general. Why don't we normally think of curtains or hinges are technology? My guess is that each generation thinks of the modern advances of their day as technology... Maybe 100 years ago, the general, everyday idea of technology was the current advances of the early 1900's. When speaking about technology, I think that more specific words should be used, such as "scientific..." or "electronic..." to exactly describe that which is meant.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment