Sunday, 6 December 2009

Stanford's iPhone Orchestra

I recently watched a fascinating technology video on the New York Times website about Stanford's iPhone Orchestra. It was an incredible example of how our world is advancing and changing; this orchestra doesn't even use instruments! Though technology such as blowing into the microphone, taping, and changing the position of the phone, the orchestra plays a variety of music. They program their own software, and use a plethora of equipment to enhance the quality. It also shows how today's youth is really exploring new ideas; the orchestra is simply comprised of college students. The director of the orchestra says that he has always been interested in music, and decided to start something new. I personally find it incredible that his "something new" is an orchestra made up of mobile phones. He also says that using technologies, in this case, phones, can actually make for a simpler and more efficient process. He says that the iPhones allow for more than any existing instrument, and doesn't limit the user to one sound. I find this incredible, and wonder if we may see more of this in the future. It is interesting to think that one day instruments, or at least the ones we are familiar with, won't exist and instead, mobile phones, computers, and other technologies will take their place.

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to embed this video, so here is the link:
http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/12/04/technology/1247465985991/stanfords-iphone-orchestra.html?emc=eta1

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting and I would love to watch a performance like this. Though, I hope the future does not bring an instrument-less world, that is instead replaced by technology. I think we need the real, traditional piano, trumpet, or harp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing a video on this and thought it was quite cool. Although, i don't believe other groups or bands should do this because it takes alot of the talent away form playing a musical instrument which also takes the novelty out of listening to it.

    ReplyDelete